IDRC Open Development Workshop
I just got home from the workshop Open Development in Ottawa. The meeting was quite stimulating and has helped me to better think through an number of not-quite-fully-formed ideas that I’ve been playing with.
Some of the questions that we were trying to answer are:
- What is openness, and what are the theoretical and empirical connections between openness and promoting human development?
- What are some implications of increasing openness in different spheres of social, economic, and political activity?
- What are the participatory or collaborative activities which, enabled by ICTs, will catalyze developmental benefits and be applicable across domains?
- What are the connections between openness, innovation, and development?
- What is the relationship between open principles and a knowledge society?
- Is more openness inevitable? When is openness a public good?
- Are there differential issues that distinguish the meaning of openness in developing versus developed economies?
- Do the new possibilities of openness through ICTs have any implications for development approaches?